Friday, October 18, 2013

Time for doors!


So I am getting closer to moving in although the tiling did take a bit longer than expected. I am actually really pleased with the finished floors, I have never tiled floors before - or anything else for that matter. So it is one step closer to moving in.
The only brick doorway I could save
There has been a lot of progress with the plastering the last big room is complete and I will be starting on the front of the house next week. It was funny I walked out the front of the house the other day when I was walking Enzo and this girl asked me if I lived there - obviously I said yes and she said ‘what an ugly house!’. I was a little bit offended but then I actually sat back and had a look and it is about time I sorted the front out.
Finished bedroom floor
I have to get permission to close the sidewalk for a week or so whilst I plaster the front - I am hoping to start mid next week. 
Rebuilding my garden wall
I also started to rebuild the garden wall as it was half falling down, I decided to add an extra six feet on top of the wall as the house next door is ugly to say the least. It will add a lot more privacy to my garden.
Concreting the floors
So whilst all the plastering has been going on I decided it was about time to put some door on my place. How hard could it be I thought? well it turned out to be very difficult. First of all I had to decide on the type of doors  - metal... wood... glass... etc. Doors can make a huge difference to the appearance of the house so I wanted to make the right choice. 
First door frame up
Now not only was it the style but the fact that every single door way in my house is not a standard size the cost would be prohibitive as they would have to be custom made. I put a couple doors on the pool house a couple of months ago but I didnt really like them, they were cheap but they are very thin and lightweight.
First door hung - will look better when stained
Soooo there was only one option left - to make the doors myself. I decided to use 2 inch pine for the doors - I want heavy weight solid doors so decided to give it a go on my apartment first and I am pretty pleased with the results.
Next double door to be hung
Ok I know they dont look great at the moment but they will look a lot better when I stain them to look like dark wood. I am also thinking about cutting a hole in them and maybe adda window or two but will decide that later on.

1 comment:

  1. JD again.. It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy a sliding clamp, and clamp the pine boards tightly together (with lots of wood glue) until they're completely dry.
    That way,once the wood dries, it won't shrink and give you a loose fitting door.

    ReplyDelete